Xana's Lair
Welcome to the cave of the beast, brave adventurer. Dare you enter? If you do, please register an account and we'll see you at the mouth of the deep, dark cave.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Xana's Lair
Welcome to the cave of the beast, brave adventurer. Dare you enter? If you do, please register an account and we'll see you at the mouth of the deep, dark cave.
Xana's Lair
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CL Fanfiction

+19
Gocaclleta
Soul Jelly
VGCats_Rocks
Atlas
A_QueenOfFairys
Heart of Lyoko
AeonFrodo
MoonlitxAngel
The Never Minder
Kittyclaw
i.most.certainly.love.you
memoire-blanche
AelitaBelpois
Stella Luce 333
aelitaxwilliam
Dobermutt
Railen
Coto524
SeeMeInTheShadows
23 posters

Page 6 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

CL Fanfiction - Page 6 Empty Re: CL Fanfiction

Post by cya6 Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:28 pm

do you actually have a 10k oneshot? i have nothing against them, I just can't read them.

and I find it hard to get too absorbed in a fanfic. No one kill me, but I'll read a chapter or two, but I can't sit down and read one for an hour.
cya6
cya6
Polymorphic Spectre
Polymorphic Spectre

Female Posts : 3491

Character Sheet
Health::
CL Fanfiction - Page 6 Left_bar_bleue0/0CL Fanfiction - Page 6 Empty_bar_bleue  (0/0)
Energy::
CL Fanfiction - Page 6 Left_bar_bleue0/0CL Fanfiction - Page 6 Empty_bar_bleue  (0/0)
Experience::

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Jelly Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:34 pm

Yup. Didn't know how to split it up, felt right to post is as a 'long short story' if you will. And fair enough, I understand your reasons entirely! I'm surprised as many people have read it as they have XD

I can spend aaages reading if I find a couple of good fics. I'm a tad addicted. Razz
Soul Jelly
Soul Jelly
Scyphozoa
Scyphozoa

Back to top Go down

Post by SeeMeInTheShadows Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:39 pm

I like long oneshots, though I usually skim (even when I read short ones, I skim). Sometimes splitting something up into chapters just kills the story and how it's supposed to flow. There are certain pieces which are fundamentally oneshots, because it's kind of weird but they almost have their own style and way you go about writing/reading.
SeeMeInTheShadows
SeeMeInTheShadows
Mistress of Butterflies
Mistress of Butterflies

Female Posts : 4157

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/1664845/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:16 pm

cya6 wrote:What I hate, are stories that are one chapter and 7k words. I can't read those, because it's too hard to find out where I left.
There are scarier numbers out there.

@Soul: For one-shots I can read pretty much anything no matter how long it is. For multi-chaptered stories, something like +20k/chapter (yes it does happen. Not so much on CL, but other fan doms) is distracting.

I agree with Shadows that a short length for multi-chaptered stories isn't a good read too.

I don't have an ideal number and most of the time I will read anything that looks good to me.

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Luce 333 Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:44 am

And to answer your question Shadows - however many words it needs.

I agre. My only excptn to that is when it's a drbble (when you have to have 100 words)...
Stella Luce 333
Stella Luce 333
Spectre
Spectre

Female Posts : 2637

Character Sheet
CL Fanfiction - Page 6 Left_bar_bleue7/17CL Fanfiction - Page 6 Empty_bar_bleue  (7/17)
CL Fanfiction - Page 6 Left_bar_bleue3/3CL Fanfiction - Page 6 Empty_bar_bleue  (3/3)

http://www.fanfiction.net/~stellaluce333

Back to top Go down

Post by Snickie Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:05 am

I really don't feel like searching it in here right now, what with it being 2am here. But has anybody besides me read Lord Maximus's crossover "Code: Total Drama Reality" on FF.Net? Chapter 81 (technically it's chapter 83, but Lord Maximus says it's 81, so it must be 81) was just published. And now I must gush over how amazing it was.

-gushgushgushgushgushgushgush-

No spoilers for you!
Snickie
Snickie
Admin (Snickie)
Admin (Snickie)

Female Posts : 3198

http://snickiedude@deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by aelitaxwilliam Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:42 am

^ I haven't, but I feel like I have heard a rec of it before. And that author has dedication. Eighty-one chapters? Wow. I really must read it someday after I somehow manage to finish my current reading.

SeeMeInTheShadows wrote:Okay, this may be a rapid change of topic, but in general, what is an ideal chapter length. Going off the assumption that some forms of writing (drabbles specifically) have different 'acceptable' word counts, does anyone here have a specific target range they look for.

For instance, I don't read multi-chapter fics unless they have over 1,000 words per chapter, and even then that's the lowest possible word count. I'm not saying it's bad to have less, I just find that if you're going to bother to write a multichap I would rather you take the time to really develop it, and that is much harder with smaller chapters and so on. There are definite examples, of course (one of my favorite NCIS author never writes chapters longer than 1,000).

Of course, othere people's opinions may differ.

I think it all has to do with the story. In general, I prefer longer chapters, but there are authors who really make it work. Those authors tend to be the angsty, present-tense ones, and are fantastically fantastic at writing short, powerful chapters. I don't know how many words it would be (I'm thinking around three or four thousand?), but I like chapters that are about eight or so pages in MS Word.

For one-shots, there's a point (for me) in which a one-shot transforms from a nice little one-shot to a monster of a story. It varies from story to story, I think, though, so there's no word limit that I can define.
aelitaxwilliam
aelitaxwilliam
Moderator (Desert Sector)
Moderator (Desert Sector)

Female Posts : 4579

Character Sheet
CL Fanfiction - Page 6 Left_bar_bleue14/18CL Fanfiction - Page 6 Empty_bar_bleue  (14/18)
CL Fanfiction - Page 6 Left_bar_bleue4/5CL Fanfiction - Page 6 Empty_bar_bleue  (4/5)

Back to top Go down

Post by Snickie Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:06 am

Back on topic: I tend to like the longer chapters simply because I feel like it shows that the author is willing to take the time to really put in a lot of thought and expand on thoughts presented and go into details and things like that. My ideal chapter length is around 5-6k words, though I have been known to go over 7k in some of my chapters. The only problem with long chapters is that it's a bit easier to gloss over typos and some inconsistencies (the latter which can be avoided by use of detailed outlines and such, things which I'm trying to get used to using), which Lord Maximus does (typos especially). But otherwise, his chapters are a joy for me to read. THEY ARE SO INTENSE OMG. -gush-
CL: Fragmented Legacies does a great job too at being interesting and long enough for my tastes, and I'm pretty sure the author utilizes spell check just a little bit more than Lord Maximus. xD

As for my chapters, I try to contain what would be in an episode into one chapter. For me, it keeps the fanfic in a quality and pacing similar to that of the TV series. Chapters in which I will present new ideas (such as the introduction of my OC in chapter 1) will be longer in order to describe more details. After all, we don't have visual representations in a fanfic's wordy format (unless I decide to link to it, but I don't know how kindly FF.Net would take to that).

This is not to say that short-chaptered stories are horrible and the authors of those are careless or anything. Take Cyanide6's "The Other's Story". I think it's one of the best stories I've been reading for awhile now and, as I stated somewhere else, what made me curious enough to investigate XL in the first place. Her(?) chapters are just long enough that I'm entertained for a good five or ten minutes, short enough that s/he can publish them quickly and frequently, and well-written and well-thought-out. I absolutely love it. It makes me speculate as to what would have happened had those two groups actually gotten together: Jeremie's with the skills and Milly's with the information. The series would have probably been a lot shorter starting with season 2. It's an interesting dynamic.
Snickie
Snickie
Admin (Snickie)
Admin (Snickie)

Back to top Go down

Post by cya6 Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:25 am

Thanks Snickie! If I waited to publish a chapter until I got 5k words, I'd never update. I've got quite a lot of stories I'm working on (I'm up to 13 in-progress stories Razz ), and the only way I can work through them is by writing short, 2-3k chapters at a time.

(Also, for a slightly ego stoking reason, the more chapters you get, the better chance you'll get reviews, so I tend to stick around shortish chapters Razz )

An author I know has been having troubles getting reviews on her story, so her chapter lengths have gone below 1k words, because she wants people to see her story more. It's got a bunch of reviews, but they're mostly from me.

So that's another reason people might use shorter chapters. Short chapters=more chapters=more time on front page of fanfic.

But I tend to like 3-5k chapters.
cya6
cya6
Polymorphic Spectre
Polymorphic Spectre

Character Sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by SeeMeInTheShadows Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:37 am

I also think it depends on what you want to accomplish. For instance, I have an up and coming fic that is basically what I think Garage Kids should have been like. I want to do it sort of like a series so I'll have 26 chapters (for the 26 scheduled episodes), each one being around 7,800 words which is, on average, the amount of time it would take for one TV episode. I'm only on chapter one right now, though. It may seem a bit long, but since that's what I'm trying to accomplish I want to go for it.

I don't read stories if they go under 1k per chapter. Mostly because of the review thing, though like I said, one of my all-time favorite authors write super short chapters. But that's just her style of writing and I feel she's proven herself enought to do that.

Unless it's a drabble of course. I love drabbles, espeically 100 word ones, if that wasn't obvious enough.
SeeMeInTheShadows
SeeMeInTheShadows
Mistress of Butterflies
Mistress of Butterflies

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Jelly Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:03 am

I got a real kick out of this so I thought I'd share it. It's so bizarre I just keep looking at it and laughing.

Behold! The most constructive comment I've ever gotten. Wink

Spoiler:

Laughing

Anyone else ever received a review that made them think "seriously, why did you even bother?"
Soul Jelly
Soul Jelly
Scyphozoa
Scyphozoa

Back to top Go down

Post by AeonFrodo Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:10 am

Quality review right there. Razz I'm sure that person was thinking that you'll understand him.
AeonFrodo
AeonFrodo
Polymorphic Spectre
Polymorphic Spectre

Female Posts : 3780

Character Sheet
CL Fanfiction - Page 6 Left_bar_bleue11/23CL Fanfiction - Page 6 Empty_bar_bleue  (11/23)
CL Fanfiction - Page 6 Left_bar_bleue2/4CL Fanfiction - Page 6 Empty_bar_bleue  (2/4)

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Luce 333 Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:24 am

lol…Did you ask a question at the end? Maybe that was your answer…
Stella Luce 333
Stella Luce 333
Spectre
Spectre

Female Posts : 2637

Character Sheet
CL Fanfiction - Page 6 Left_bar_bleue7/17CL Fanfiction - Page 6 Empty_bar_bleue  (7/17)
CL Fanfiction - Page 6 Left_bar_bleue3/3CL Fanfiction - Page 6 Empty_bar_bleue  (3/3)

http://www.fanfiction.net/~stellaluce333

Back to top Go down

Post by SeeMeInTheShadows Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:59 am

not bad.
It wasn't for a CLFF, but it was especially sad because it was the only review I got. Evil or Very Mad

For a CLFF, I got this little joy once.
i hate it im never reading your stories again
It makes me smile, because I just can't be offended by a pointless review where the reviewer doesn't realize that "I" has to be capitalized and "I'm" has an apostrophe. (It really does make me smile though, and I don't know why).
SeeMeInTheShadows
SeeMeInTheShadows
Mistress of Butterflies
Mistress of Butterflies

Back to top Go down

Post by cya6 Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:37 am

heh, hate flames. looking back, I can see how they're almost comical, cause they're so ridiculous, but back then I freaked out. I got three on one story, but eh, it wasn't exactly a popular idea. Basically, I get them on anything resembling an anti-OxA story.
cya6
cya6
Polymorphic Spectre
Polymorphic Spectre

Character Sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:16 am

Soul_Jelly wrote:I got a real kick out of this so I thought I'd share it. It's so bizarre I just keep looking at it and laughing.

Behold! The most constructive comment I've ever gotten. Wink

Spoiler:

Laughing

Anyone else ever received a review that made them think "seriously, why did you even bother?"
That was me. Not kidding.

Back to top Go down

Post by Atlas Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:40 am

Actually no, that is impossible Legend.

There is a distinct lack of "U" in the comment to be sure it is you.

Were it from Legend, it would read "No U"

So...

No.
Atlas
Atlas
Admin (Atlas)
Admin (Atlas)

Male Posts : 5304

Character Sheet
CL Fanfiction - Page 6 Left_bar_bleue5/10CL Fanfiction - Page 6 Empty_bar_bleue  (5/10)
CL Fanfiction - Page 6 Left_bar_bleue4/12CL Fanfiction - Page 6 Empty_bar_bleue  (4/12)
CL Fanfiction - Page 6 Left_bar_bleue0/5CL Fanfiction - Page 6 Empty_bar_bleue  (0/5)

Back to top Go down

Post by cya6 Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:42 am

what?
cya6
cya6
Polymorphic Spectre
Polymorphic Spectre

Character Sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:10 pm

Atlas wrote:Actually no, that is impossible Legend.

There is a distinct lack of "U" in the comment to be sure it is you.

Were it from Legend, it would read "No U"

So...

No.
lol that may be true. But I am serious, it was me.

Back to top Go down

Post by Snickie Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:54 pm

I discovered Aeon's fanfiction on dA, "Pretty Hate Machine". I'm not quite finished reading it yet (my dad made me get off the computer and go to bed because it is nearly 2am here), but I really like what I've read so far. I'm going to try to find it on FF.Net right now so I can finish reading.
Snickie
Snickie
Admin (Snickie)
Admin (Snickie)

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Jelly Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:46 am

@Legend - I never ever know if I'm supposed to take you seriously or not. So if it was you, I'm not even going to ask about your reasoning behind it. Thanks for the laugh though. Razz
Soul Jelly
Soul Jelly
Scyphozoa
Scyphozoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:17 am

Soul_Jelly wrote:@Legend - I never ever know if I'm supposed to take you seriously or not
Makes two of us.

Laughter is the only thing that'll keep you sane
In this world that's dying more and more everyday
Don't let evil get you down
In this madness spinning round and round.

But there was a reason behind it. Maybe I should give a serious review.

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Jelly Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:50 am

LegendOfTheSky wrote:
Soul_Jelly wrote:@Legend - I never ever know if I'm supposed to take you seriously or not
Makes two of us.

Laughter is the only thing that'll keep you sane
In this world that's dying more and more everyday
Don't let evil get you down
In this madness spinning round and round.

The fact that I imagined you (you looking like your avatar in my mind) saying this with an extremely creepy monotone voice really just doesn't help things. O_o

And, don't feel obliged. I don't have much to say about it myself, either.
Soul Jelly
Soul Jelly
Scyphozoa
Scyphozoa

Back to top Go down

Post by cya6 Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:56 am

Glad I'm not the only person who pictures Legend like that Smile

Internet's so strange, sometime have very strange pictures of people. (doesn't help that my mind's eye refuses to take the memo that you're a girl, Soul Razz )

Does anyone here get problems with flamers? I've had one story that got, I think four.
cya6
cya6
Polymorphic Spectre
Polymorphic Spectre

Character Sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by SeeMeInTheShadows Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:13 am

Besides the one I posted, no. I think that in general, the CL fandom is a pretty nice bunch. I mean, you see a lot of people post "no flames please" in their summary, which would stand to reason they've gotten a flame (though in my opinion, that attracts even more flamers, and I have my doubts about stories where you have to post that). However, like any fandom, there are just the mean people at there.

Does this mean everybody imagines me as Bears, cows, butterflies, and on one occastion, the cooke monster?
SeeMeInTheShadows
SeeMeInTheShadows
Mistress of Butterflies
Mistress of Butterflies

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next