Xana's Lair
Welcome to the cave of the beast, brave adventurer. Dare you enter? If you do, please register an account and we'll see you at the mouth of the deep, dark cave.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Xana's Lair
Welcome to the cave of the beast, brave adventurer. Dare you enter? If you do, please register an account and we'll see you at the mouth of the deep, dark cave.
Xana's Lair
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

In Xanadu

5 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

In Xanadu Empty In Xanadu

Post by Keeper Of Secrets Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:47 am

I've been interested in running this for a while, and this forum seems to be more geared towards a roleplaying atmosphere, so I thought I'd start right here! The game will be called "In Xanadu" and will be set in what Code Lyoko was originally envisioned as, "Garage Kids". The basic idea is the same, but there are many differences that make it a different story altogether. You can either play one of the canon characters or create your own.

As in Garage Kids, each character will have a special, unique power granted to them by the supercomputer that carries over into the real world (at least in a limited fashion). This power will be determined by me (with your input and consideration of course), based on your character's personality and background. As the game progresses, your control over the power will increase and you will gain more and more abilities based on the power. In addition, you will have a chance to build your character with a very simple group of statistics, similar to a video game RPG or tabletop pen-and-paper RPG, except that there will be no dice rolling involved. Your success and failure in certain actions will be based on your ability to play your character realistically and convincingly, not on making a 'powerful' character.

If you are at all interested in playing, please leave a reply here if you are willing to play consistently. I'm aiming to make a game that encourages good roleplaying and creative thinking, and I'm interested in seeing what people come up with. Full explanations of the rules and story will be posted shortly.

Keeper Of Secrets
Keeper Of Secrets
Blok
Blok

Back to top Go down

In Xanadu Empty Re: In Xanadu

Post by Railen Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:34 am

I'd like to hear the full explanation of the rules. You could also PM those if you don't want them private yet.

Perhaps you might be interested in joining the Grand Arena? On first sight, the systems used there are qutie similar to your idea. There are dice rolls, but they are rare.
Railen
Railen
Spectre
Spectre

Female Posts : 2918

Character Sheet
Health::
In Xanadu Left_bar_bleue22/22In Xanadu Empty_bar_bleue  (22/22)
Energy::
In Xanadu Left_bar_bleue1/1In Xanadu Empty_bar_bleue  (1/1)
Experience::
In Xanadu Left_bar_bleue0/0In Xanadu Empty_bar_bleue  (0/0)

http://www.xanaslair.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Keeper Of Secrets Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:01 pm

I'll just post what I had in mind.

Each character has 15 Traits, which are grouped into three categories: Physical, Mental, and Social:
Physical Strength Coordination Skill Stamina Resolve
Mental Smarts Innocence Reason Experience Wits
Social Charisma Manipulation Looks Composure Reputation
For each of the three categories (Physical, Mental, Social), rank them 1st, 2nd, and 3rd in order of importance to the character. For the category you chose as 1st (Most important for the character), you now have 7 'points' to distribute among the five traits in that category. For example, Ulrich is a practiced martial artist and his Physical Traits would likely be the most developed. So, his Physical category would be rated 1st. Each trait already has a value of 1, and when you distribute 7 points it might look something like this for Ulrich:
Ulrich's Physical Traits Strength 1 Coordination 3 Skill 4 Stamina 2 Resolve 2
You then do the same for your 2nd and 3rd ranked categories, except that the 2nd most important category receives 5 points to distribute, and the 3rd ranked category receives 3 points to distribute. In this example, Ulrich's Social traits are rated second and his Mental traits rated third:
Ulrich's Mental Traits Smarts 2 Innocence 2 Reason 1 Experience 2 Wits 3
Ulrich's Social Traits Charisma 1 Manipulation 1 Looks 2 Composure 3 Reputation 1
Your character also has a unique power, which I mentioned before. Your power is unique to your character, and each power will do something different and useful in its own way. For each power, there are six Abilities: 3 Basic abilities, 2 Superior abilities, and 1 Advanced ability. You start with one Basic power of the three available, which you get to choose. As the game progresses, you will gain additional powers. The canon characters already have their powers determined:
Jeremie - Chronos, which allows him to manipulate the flow of time or look into the past or future.
Odd - Ferine, which allows him to take on certain animal characteristics and project an aura of superhuman charisma around him.
Ulrich - Mercuria, which allows to move at incredible speeds and appear in multiple places at once.
Yumi - Bunraku, which allows her to move objects by telekinesis or manipulate objects from afar.

Each character also has 10 energy points, which are spent each time you use a power on Earth (1 point to use a Basic ability, 2 points to use a Superior ability, and 4 points to use an Advanced ability). Each time you return to Xanadu, you recover at least 2 energy.

The steps above let you create the numbers for your character, and I'll post a synopsis of the story if people are interested in playing. If people want to play a canon character, they are very much welcome to pick their own Trait distribution or have me do it.
Keeper Of Secrets
Keeper Of Secrets
Blok
Blok

Back to top Go down

Post by Railen Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:56 am

What exactly do the traits do, how does one keep track of energy, how would the story flow, how does one gain more skills?
Railen
Railen
Spectre
Spectre

Character Sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Keeper Of Secrets Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:31 pm

Railen wrote:What exactly do the traits do, how does one keep track of energy, how would the story flow, how does one gain more skills?
Thanks for bringing this up, I meant to go into greater detail in my last post but I've been somewhat busy as of late. Here is the rest of the explanation:

For each trait, a value of 1 is Passable, 2 is Average, 3 is Good, 4 is Exceptional, and 5+ is Excellent
Strength- Physical strength and muscle
Coordination- Balance and gracefulness
Skill- Proficiency with physical martial arts and/or sports
Stamina- Ability to resist fatigue and tiredness
Resolve- Motivation to keep going and not give up
Smarts- Knowledge and booksmarts, things you learn in school
Innocence- Willingness to trust people and remain optimistic
Reason- Ability to think logically and critically
Experience- Wisdom gained from past events and life lessons
Wits- Ability to think and react quickly
Charisma- Measure of your speaking ability and outward demeanor
Manipulation- Ability to manipulate and influence others through force of will or deception
Looks- Measure of how pretty you are
Composure- Ability to remain calm and cool under stress
Reputation- Your image or standing among other people around you

As for tracking things like energy and Powers, the first post of the actual thread for the game would list each character and their current energy level, traits, and Powers. By accomplishing puzzles and battles (and using your existing abilities) on Xanadu, you will unlock abilities. Your traits will gradually go up as the game progresses (and occasionally down), and each player will have at least one trait go up by one each time you complete a story arc.

The game should flow as a series of 'episodes' like the show, where I as the Game Master set up a series of events and issues for the players to tackle in whatever way you go at it. This shouldn't be that different from most other RPs, other than you have some numbers to help guide your decisions.

Each time you want to attempt something difficult (such as fighting on Xanadu, solving a puzzle, etc), you pick two traits that you think apply to the situation. For example, if you need to get past someone like Jim and join up with your friends, you could try to fast talk your way past him by using a combination of Manipulation (a few well-placed lies and half truths) and Reputation (he still thinks of you as one of the 'good' students). You would write up what you do and say, and at the bottom make a note of what two traits you are using. I would then write out Jim's response based on how appropriate the two traits are (in my opinion based on the situation) and how high the total of the two trait's values are.

Whenever you use one of your abilities, make a note of which one(s) you used and I will subtract the appropriate number of energy points. Your abilities almost always guarantee success in whatever they do, so they are more powerful in that sense. On the other hand, you have a limited number of energy points at any one time and you have to keep them hidden from people not aware of your powers.

I will be very generous in determining success and failure, handing out new trait bonuses, etc. It's meant to be fun and light, and to give a better framework from which to play your character.

Last edited by Keeper Of Secrets on Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Keeper Of Secrets
Keeper Of Secrets
Blok
Blok

Back to top Go down

Post by lyokofan4life Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:24 pm

this sounds awesome!! I wanna join!
lyokofan4life
lyokofan4life
Blok
Blok

Female Posts : 36

http://code-ulumi.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Keeper Of Secrets Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:49 pm

lyokofan4life wrote:this sounds awesome!! I wanna join!
Thanks for your interest! Please send me a PM with what character you wish to play (or the details on your own custom character) and we'll work out your character concept, traits, and Power.
Keeper Of Secrets
Keeper Of Secrets
Blok
Blok

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:23 am

I'd suggest you wait for Railen to confirm it being available to play.

I' m interested too, you've put alot of thought into it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Keeper Of Secrets Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:56 am

LegendOfTheSky wrote:I'd suggest you wait for Railen to confirm it being available to play.

I' m interested too, you've put alot of thought into it.
Good point, I just noticed that clause at the end of the rules thread, d'oh. Awaiting approval from Railen then, but I'll put you on the list in the meanwhile.
Keeper Of Secrets
Keeper Of Secrets
Blok
Blok

Back to top Go down

Post by Railen Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:00 am

How do you determine when a character gains more experience and points, and how are you keeping track of all their energy? Are you going to write it down or add that in a post during the game? What happens when one runs out of energy and thus can't use any trait/skill anymore? You did say it's possible to regain energy, but how exactly can this be achieved and how much?

It surely looks interesting, but ir seems to require quite a bit of organisation in order to work properly. A clear explanation of the rules should be posted somewhere, plus the information for all the playing characters and the game in itself - perhaps even multiple ones, if more people wish to join.

Ps: Should you at any time in the future recognise certain similar names in the Grand Arena, I'll already appologise and ascertan that those have been planned long beforehand. The terms 'stamina' and 'energy' for example will be used as additional stats in the firstcoming big update. Call it an expansion, if you will. Smile
Railen
Railen
Spectre
Spectre

Character Sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Keeper Of Secrets Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:41 pm

Railen wrote:How do you determine when a character gains more experience and points, and how are you keeping track of all their energy? Are you going to write it down or add that in a post during the game? What happens when one runs out of energy and thus can't use any trait/skill anymore? You did say it's possible to regain energy, but how exactly can this be achieved and how much?
Yes, when I make the thread for the game itself the OP will have a record for each character and what their current traits, energy level, and powers are. I will clarify:
-As the game master, at the end of any given episode I grant each player a bonus point to one of the traits that I think they used most effectively over the course of the episode, so all players gain at least one point in any trait per episode. If a player does something exceptional in my view (excellent roleplaying, creative thinking, etc) I will grant additional points as the situation merits.
-Using traits does not expend energy points: traits are inherent to your character.
-Only using abilities (granted by your character's unique Power) drains energy points (1 point to use a Basic ability, 2 to use a Superior ability, and 4 to use an Advanced ability). Each player regains at least 2 energy points each time they are virtualized and travel to Xanadu (but they only regain these points once per episode even if they travel to Xanadu multiple times), and occasionally gain more if they accomplish certain things while on Xanadu (I can't say what these things are at the moment as they're tied to the plot). If you are out of energy points, you cannot access your Power and thus cannot use abilities.
Railen wrote:
It surely looks interesting, but ir seems to require quite a bit of organisation in order to work properly. A clear explanation of the rules should be posted somewhere, plus the information for all the playing characters and the game in itself - perhaps even multiple ones, if more people wish to join.
I will organize the rules and post them in the OP of the game's thread, along with the information for each character. This way, the OP acts as both the rules reference and character record for everyone.
Railen wrote:
Ps: Should you at any time in the future recognise certain similar names in the Grand Arena, I'll already appologise and ascertan that those have been planned long beforehand. The terms 'stamina' and 'energy' for example will be used as additional stats in the firstcoming big update. Call it an expansion, if you will. Smile
Oh don't worry, I'm not particularly creative with names either. This game is a highly simplified adaptation of the pen-and-paper RPG called World of Darkness, though this game does not require dice rolling.

With this in mind, do I have permission to move forward?
Keeper Of Secrets
Keeper Of Secrets
Blok
Blok

Back to top Go down

Post by Railen Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:05 am

You sure do. I could add dices later on if you think they'll ever be needed, If you'd like to have a subfora for this game, or perhaps a category like the Grand Arena does, please do tell (along with how it should be called and the description).

I'll also play, I need to practise my rp'ing skills for the Grand Arena later on. Smile
Railen
Railen
Spectre
Spectre

Character Sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Luce 333 Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:30 pm

I'm in!!! I cold use some practce for the Grnd Arna, as well...
Stella Luce 333
Stella Luce 333
Spectre
Spectre

Female Posts : 2637

Character Sheet
In Xanadu Left_bar_bleue7/17In Xanadu Empty_bar_bleue  (7/17)
In Xanadu Left_bar_bleue3/3In Xanadu Empty_bar_bleue  (3/3)

http://www.fanfiction.net/~stellaluce333

Back to top Go down

Post by Keeper Of Secrets Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:10 pm

Railen wrote:You sure do. I could add dices later on if you think they'll ever be needed, If you'd like to have a subfora for this game, or perhaps a category like the Grand Arena does, please do tell (along with how it should be called and the description).

I'll also play, I need to practise my rp'ing skills for the Grand Arena later on. Smile
A subforum would be unnecessary at the moment, I think we can leave it where it is now. This thread will be the recruitment/discussion thread, and I'll open a new one for the game itself. There are online programs that roll dice, but I wanted to avoid them to make the game simpler to keep track of and play.

So far, the following people are interested:
Binary10
LegendOfTheSky
lyokofan4life
Railen
Stella Luce 333
Five is a good number: I will close admissions from this point on (sorry to anyone else reading this, but there might be openings eventually) because any more would make it confusing. If you want to play, you should be able to check the thread regularly, ideally at least once a day, even if your character is not the center of action at the moment.

The following characters are open:
Odd
Ulrich

The following characters are taken:
Jeremie - Railen
Yumi - Stella Luce 333

If you want to claim a character or play a custom character, please post in this thread with your choice. It will be first come first serve unless an agreement can be reached.

I would prefer people to take the canon characters first, but if you really have your heart set on a custom character then go ahead. I must stipulate that at least three of the canon characters (including Jeremie) must be taken when all is said and done.

Last edited by Keeper Of Secrets on Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:11 pm; edited 2 times in total
Keeper Of Secrets
Keeper Of Secrets
Blok
Blok

Back to top Go down

Post by Railen Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:38 am

While I do love melee combat and Ulrich would be my man, his personality isn't exactly what I'd be looking for. So I guess I'll pick Jeremie.
Railen
Railen
Spectre
Spectre

Character Sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Luce 333 Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:29 pm

I'll take Yumi, if nobdy else wants her role...
Stella Luce 333
Stella Luce 333
Spectre
Spectre

Female Posts : 2637

Character Sheet
In Xanadu Left_bar_bleue7/17In Xanadu Empty_bar_bleue  (7/17)
In Xanadu Left_bar_bleue3/3In Xanadu Empty_bar_bleue  (3/3)

http://www.fanfiction.net/~stellaluce333

Back to top Go down

Post by Keeper Of Secrets Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:50 pm

Railen/Stella your choices have been noted. Update for the new page:

Taken:
Jeremie - Railen
Yumi - Stella Luce 333
Odd - Binary10
Available:
Ulrich
Custom Characters

Last edited by Keeper Of Secrets on Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Keeper Of Secrets
Keeper Of Secrets
Blok
Blok

Back to top Go down

Post by Keeper Of Secrets Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:12 pm

Notice to players that have not chosen a character yet: I need confirmation that you're actually going to play or the game will have to close or start without you!
Keeper Of Secrets
Keeper Of Secrets
Blok
Blok

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:05 am

Starting from sunday, I won't be very active so I can't

Sorry.

Back to top Go down

Post by Coto524 Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:07 pm

I have an OC, but we DO need three canon.....

And I have barely ever RPed as Odd.....

I can't choose! Got a suggestion, Secrets?
Coto524
Coto524
Polymorphic Spectre
Polymorphic Spectre

Male Posts : 3955

Character Sheet
In Xanadu Left_bar_bleue19/19In Xanadu Empty_bar_bleue  (19/19)
In Xanadu Left_bar_bleue9/9In Xanadu Empty_bar_bleue  (9/9)

Back to top Go down

Post by Keeper Of Secrets Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:19 pm

Binary10 wrote:I have an OC, but we DO need three canon.....

And I have barely ever RPed as Odd.....

I can't choose! Got a suggestion, Secrets?

Well, always a good time to try something new. You might also pick based on what Power sounds more interesting to you.
Keeper Of Secrets
Keeper Of Secrets
Blok
Blok

Back to top Go down

Post by Coto524 Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:47 am

Or, we could kill off a character and replace him/her with an OC....

Meh. I'll pick Odd.
Coto524
Coto524
Polymorphic Spectre
Polymorphic Spectre

Character Sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Keeper Of Secrets Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:21 am

Alright, I will unfortunately have to drop those of you who have not reported in to pick a character yet if you do not report in within the next few days, and the RP thread will then be able to begin. I have the following people with the following characters:

Railen - Jeremie
Stella Luce 333 - Yumi
Binary10 - Odd

As soon as possible please submit your character's stats using the system I detailed previously in this thread, and select your starting ability from the following list of each character's individual Powers:

Jeremie
Power - Chronos
Slow Time- Time slows down around you, up to approximately your visual range. While you remain unaffected, time flows at about 10% of its normal speed. You may still interact with objects around you, but the effect only lasts for about 30 seconds of real time.
View Past- By closing your eyes and concentrating, you can see 10-second segments of the past as if you were there looking with your own eyes. The images are blurry and colorless, and you have no other senses than sight. You can look back up to about a month with perfect accuracy, and you may look back as far as a decade, though the farther back you attempt to look the less control over how precise the time you will see will be.
Quicken Time- Time speeds up around you, up to only about three meters. Within this area, time speeds up by about 10 times, though those affected still act as if it was moving at normal speed for them. You may still interact with objects around you, but the effect only lasts for about 30 seconds of real time.

Yumi
Power - Bunraku
Ghost Touch- As you use this power, you can manipulate objects from a distance as if your hands were being used to physically manipulate them. You must pantomime the actions with your own hands and you feel whatever you are manipulating as if you were actually touching it, but you cannot do anything you would not normally be able to do with your own hands. You can use Ghost Touch for up to about 5 minutes at a time.
Repulsion- You concentrate your power into an invisible aura of about a meter around you. This aura can repel specific objects, people, sounds, etc that you designate in your mind when you activate the ability. The repelled object feels as if it is an invisible barrier that prevents entry when encountering the aura. The aura can only last for about a minute at a time and can be overcome if the subject is particularly strong or powerful.
Telekinesis- You can lift or move objects that you can see of a mass of up to 1 ton per point of Resolve you have. Each time you use this ability you can move a single object and you may continue moving it as long as you maintain your concentration on it, up to about a minute total. After that, you would have to activate the ability again to move it.

Odd
Power - Ferine
Animal Form- You may change a single, discrete part of yourself into a comparable part of an animal, such as changing your hands into cat claws or your arms into bird's wings. The transformation takes only a few seconds, and gives you more or less the same capabilities as the animal, though you do not necessarily have the experience necessary (growing bird's wings does not also immediately give you the knowledge of how to fly with them properly). The transformation lasts for up to one hour or until you will it to end, at which point it reverts to normal. You can only have one transformation at one time: if you use this ability while you already have a transformed body part, the old one reverts back to normal and the new one transforms.
Glamor- You radiate an aura of charisma and awe to all around you. It is entirely mental: those around you will suddenly feel as if you are the center of attention and incredibly charismatic and/or attractive. The Glamor lasts for about half an hour, at which point those around you will snap out of the subtle fugue that this ability puts them into.
Animal Tongue- You can speak to a single animal, and it can understand your words perfectly as long as it is intelligent to understand more or less what you are trying to say. The animal is inclined to follow your directions as long as it does not directly harm them, and most animals can follow simple three or four-word instructions.

Since we do not have an Ulrich player, I will control him as an NPC.
Keeper Of Secrets
Keeper Of Secrets
Blok
Blok

Back to top Go down

Post by Railen Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:49 am

Mental Smarts Innocence Reason Experience Wits
3 1 3 1 4
Social Manipulation Looks Composure Reputation Charisma
2 1 4 1 2
Physical Strenght Coordination Skill Resolve Stamina
1 1 1 4 1

Together with Slow Time, of course.
Railen
Railen
Spectre
Spectre

Character Sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Coto524 Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:30 pm

1. Social.
Charisma: 2
Manipulation: 3
Looks: 2
Composure: 3

2. Physical
Strength: 2
Coordination: 2
Skill: 1
Stamina: 2
Reolve: 3

3. Mental
Smarts: 1
Innocence: 2
Reason: 1
Experience: 2
Wits: 2

Animal Form, please.

Sorry about the non-tableness.... I can't figure it out...
Coto524
Coto524
Polymorphic Spectre
Polymorphic Spectre

Character Sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next